• For general information about transfer requests, please continue reading below. For detailed process information and forms, please visit the In-District Transfer Request or Out-of-District Transfer Request pages.

    Students shall attend the school designated for the attendance area in which the student resides. Under rare exceptional circumstances, however, a student may be permitted to transfer to a school outside of the student's attendance area. Reasons for transfers based upon exceptional circumstances:

    1. Family Move
    2. Request from a Governmental Entity
    3. Special School District Programs
    4. Exceptional Psychological or Health Reasons
    5. Administrative Placement

    Transfer Request Definitions

    Family Move: Students whose parents move during the regular school year into the attendance area of another school within the school district may remain enrolled until the end of the regular school year at the school in which the student was enrolled immediately prior to the move.

    Request from a Governmental Entity: Request from Juvenile Court, DCF, a mental health center, etc., may be approved when the transfer will improve the student’s educational welfare and the receiving building has the capacity to accommodate the student’s needs.

    Special Programs: Transfers may be requested in circumstances where special curricular programs to meet educational needs are available in limited/designated school sites.

    Exceptional Psychological or Health Reasons: A transfer may be requested on the basis of extraordinary psychological or health-related circumstances. As supportive evidence, the District may require a report (which includes the reasons for and benefits of the transfer) prepared by a licensed mental or medical health professional with extensive knowledge of the student and the circumstances surrounding the request.

    Administrative Placement: In special circumstances, the Superintendent of schools or his/her designee (transfer committee) may place a student in a school other than the school he or she would attend under Board of Education policies. Such placement may be made after consultation with student’s parents or guardians, sending and receiving principals, and other school personnel.