• Students shall attend the school designated for the attendance area in which the student resides. Under certain circumstances, however, a student may be permitted to transfer to a school outside the student's attendance area.

    Transfer Request Definitions

    Family Move: Students whose parents move during the regular school year into the attendance area of another school within the school district may remain enrolled until the end of the regular school year at the school in which the student was enrolled immediately prior to the move.

    Request from a Governmental Entity: Request from Juvenile Court, DCF, a mental health center, etc., may be approved when the transfer will improve the student’s educational welfare and the receiving building has the capacity to accommodate the student’s needs.

    Special Programs: Transfers may be requested in circumstances where special curricular programs to meet educational needs are available in limited/designated school sites.

    Exceptional Psychological or Health Reasons: A transfer may be requested on the basis of extraordinary psychological or health-related circumstances. As supportive evidence, the District may require a report (which includes the reasons for and benefits of the transfer) prepared by a licensed mental or medical health professional with extensive knowledge of the student and the circumstances surrounding the request.

    Employee of the School District: Employees of the school district may request a transfer of their student(s) to the school in which they work or a school closer to their work location. If the employee should leave employment with the district, their student(s) may be asked to return to the school in their attendance area for the following school year.

    Administrative Placement: In special circumstances, the Superintendent of schools or his/her designee (transfer committee) may place a student in a school other than the school he or she would attend under Board of Education policies. Such placement may be made after consultation with the student's parents or guardians, sending and receiving principals, and other school personnel.


    If you have questions regarding Transfer Requests, please contact transfers@usd230.org.