• In compliance with current policies recommended by the Kansas State Department of Education, U.S.D. 230 will not administer any prescription medications without the annual physician's and parent's written permission. Over-the-counter medications may be administered with a parent's annual written permission. All student medications must be kept in the health room and given by the school nurse or trained staff member.

    Prescription Medications

    When medications prescribed by a physician are needed at school, the school nurse or other authorized personnel may administer the medication under the following conditions:

    • Prescription Bottle LabelThe medication is in the original container with the student's name, physician, current date, name of medication, dosage, and method of administration.
    • A consent form signed by the parents and the physician must accompany all prescription medications.
    • Inhalers and Epipens must be accompanied by a note from the physician stating that the student has been instructed in its use and is authorized to carry the medication at school.


    Non-Prescription (Over-the-Counter) Medications

    High school students may carry a small bottle of their own non-prescription (over-the-counter) medications such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), or antacids (Tums). However, all other medications must be kept in the nurse's office. All medications must be in the original container.

    Students must never give or share any type of medication or drug with other students. The principal will have the final authority to revoke the student's privilege of carrying his or her own medication if necessary.