We encourage every student to spend adequate time preparing to take the ACT or SAT. These are not tests in which a student can simply sit down and take without understanding the testing format and content. SHHS provides the following information to assist in preparing for the tests.
Method Test Prep is an interactive, web-based program of instruction that allows students to practice and prepare for the ACT exam. The website is available to all SHHS students at no cost. Students can access the website at any time and from any location that has internet connectivity. Modules are designed in 15-minute daily lessons that cover all content areas and provide immediate feedback for student understanding through audio, video, or printed reviews. Students not only learn specific content for the ACT but, just as importantly, also learn how to take timed portions of the test, and how to prepare for specific reading requirements and vocabulary. Students can track their progress through easy pull-down menus that show their completed coursework and plan further coursework with up to 20 hours of instruction. Students can even create flashcards for use or download content-specific study packets for review.
To access Method Test Prep students must log into the Xello website. They should select Method Test Prep on the lower right hand of the screen. Students may check with their counselors for their appropriate login information.
Test Preparation Websites
- Mometrix Test Preparation - Free test prep website for SAT and ACT
- Vocab Ahead - Build vocabulary for ACT, SAT, or GRE words
- ACT Academy - ACT Academy™ is a free online learning tool and test practice program designed to help you get the best score possible on the ACT test, and well on your way to college and career success.
- Princeton Review - How will you score? Find out by taking one of our free practice tests. Take the test in person or online. You’ll get a detailed score report that analyzes your strengths and weaknesses and gives you an action plan for improvement.
- Learning Express Library - Click on College Prep Center
- You need a Kansas Library Card to access this website. Stop by the library to get a card if you do not have one.
- Study Point - Study Point focuses exclusively on one-to-one, private tutoring. Our proprietary programs provide your child with a highly personalized tutoring experience that tailors instruction to your child's key strengths and weaknesses. Lessons move at your child's pace, and provide a safe environment for asking questions on difficult material.
- ACT BLITZ: 10 Rules for 2 Extra Points - An online ACT Prep Workshop for Students
- Prep Factory - An interactive test prep website.
- Khan Academy - Get personalized practice recommendations for the skills you'll need for the SAT, plus eight official practice exams from College Board.
- 4 Tests - Free practice exams
- Kap Test - Study with a team of ACT prep teachers ready to answer your questions. 9 out of 10 Kaplan students get into one or more of their top-choice colleges
- ACT/SAT Help Books:
- Kaplan SAT and PSAT 2004 - $32
- Master the ACT Assessment 2004 (Book and CD) - $29.95
- How to Prepare for the ACT (Book and CD) - $14.95
- ACT Prep Books are available in the SHHS Library