What is self-care?
Self-care is any activity that we do to take care of our physical, mental, and emotional health. Good self-care is key to improved mood and reduced anxiety. It’s also key to a good relationship with oneself and others.
What isn't self-care?
Self-care is not something we force ourselves to do nor is it something we do not enjoy doing. As Agnes Wainman explained, self-care is “something that refuels us, rather than takes from us.”
It is not selfish to use self-care. We have to consider our own needs in order to take care of ourselves and others. It is similar to that saying, "you can't help someone else, if you can't help yourself first."
What are some self-care habits ?
Self-care looks different for everyone. It is important to make a list of positive things you can do to work on your self-care, for example:
- Engaging in physical activity; going for a walk, throwing the football, spending time outside
- Get enough sleep
- Do at least one relaxing activity every day, whether it's taking a walk or spending 30 minutes unwinding
- Spending time with family and friends
- Eating a healthy, well-balanced diet
- Having a positive mindset or sense of humor
- Planning for future assignments/activities
- To-Do Lists
- Managing/Maintaining healthy boundaries with technology
- Managing stress and anxiety in a healthy manner
Check out these apps to help with your mental health!