Special Education

Special Education

Special Education is specially designed instruction that meets the unique needs of a student with a disability (exceptionality). It ensures that a student has access to and/or benefit from participation in the general education curriculum and a free, appropriate, public education. This is achieved through related services provided by Special Education teachers, licensed therapists, and paraprofessionals. 

If you have a child who you feel may be in need of special education service(s), please contact your child’s building principal or School Psychologist, or contact the Spring Hill Special Services Office: (913) 592-7293.

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

Reauthorized by Congress and signed into law by President Bush in December 2004, the federal Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA-04) guides all special education practices in the United States. IDEA-04 mandates that each student identified as eligible for special education services receive a "free and appropriate public education" in the "least restrictive environment" and be afforded "due process rights" as delineated in the legislation.

Areas of Exceptionality

Autism Developmental Delay
Emotional Disturbance Gifted
Intellectual Disability Learning Disability
Multiple Disabilities Hearing Impairment
Sensory Impairment  Traumatic Brain Injury
Deafness Blindness
Speech or Language Impairment Other Health Impairment


An initial evaluation involves a variety of information collection and tools that will help the team determine if a student has an exceptionality based on eligibility criteria set by the Kansas State Department of Education. Eligibility has two components. 

1. The student must be determined to have an exceptionality; and
2. The student must demonstrate a need for special education and related services.

**For more details, please see our USD 230 Parent Guidebook to the IEP Process in the list of documents at the bottom of this page. 

Services Offered

Modifications Accommodations 
Physical Therapy Occupational Therapy
Audiology Speech and Language Therapy
Assistive Technology

Records Request

To receive a copy of, or request the transfer of your, or your students Special Education Records, please contact the Special Services office: (913) 592-7293

Public Notices

USD #230 maintains our records for 5 years after a student has exited Special Education services per KSDE requirements. To access your records before destruction, please contact the Special Services office by May 30th of the fifth year after  your exiting school year. If you had Special Education Services when you graduated, it would be five years after that year. Contact the Special Services office with your request: (913) 592-7293

Extended School Year (ESY)