Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?
To apply, please visit Job Openings - Substitute-Licensed  or Job Openings-Substitute-Classified web page. After you have found the desired position, you will click on "Apply" to start the application process.

Do I have to have a license to be a sub?
To substitute for a teacher, you must either have a current teaching license or a current emergency substitute license. To substitute for a paraprofessional or nutrition service worker, no license is needed.
What are the educational requirements to be a sub?
To obtain an emergency substitute license, you must have had at least 60 college credits to apply. Click here to access the Kansas State Department of Education's license page to view the full qualifications to obtain an emergency substitute license.

What will my hours be?
Substitute hours are 7:45am – 3:45pm for a full day teaching and paraprofessional position. Nutrition service worker substitutes hours will vary (2-6 hours per day).
How often do I get paid?
Substitute are paid once on the 10th of each month, unless the 10th falls on a weekend then the employee is paid the Friday before.

What is the daily rate?
Substitute Teachers (w/teaching or emergency substitute license) receive $135.00 per day for a full day of subbing.  Long-term Teacher Substitute(+10 days) is $175.00 per day.
Substitute Paraprofessionals (with or without a teaching license) and nutrition service worker substitutes receive $95.00 per day for a full day of subbing or $13.57 per hour.

Please refer to substitute handbook for full list of pay and additional information.
Will I receive training?
Substitutes, for any position, must attend a substitute orientation before becoming a substitute in the district. The orientation includes substitute teacher training, crisis trainings, and mandated safety trainings.

Do I receive benefits?
No, substitutes do not receive health or dental insurance. Substitutes may be eligible to attend professional development opportunities to receive professional development points to help with the renewal of a teaching license in the future.



Substitute Handbook 2021-2022

Substitute Orientation 2021-2022