Where am I?
- To provide assistance to all students with their social, emotional, and intellectual growth.
- To provide individual, small group, and classroom developmentally appropriate lessons for students regarding social, emotional, personal, family, behavioral, or peer difficulties, which are interfering with their educational or personal growth.
- To provide support for teachers with students receiving special educational services.
- To provide teachers, parents, and students with referral resources in various areas such as: child development, academic abilities, parenting challenges, outside counseling services, grief and loss, family change and dynamics, suicide awareness, and various other mental health issues.
- Assist with the formulation of the Individual Educational Plan (IEP) and coordinate counseling services recommended.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times, unless a “need to know” situation arises. During that time, the counselor will collaboratively work with the principal, teachers, parents, and students regarding the well-being of the student.
What types of services are provided?
Individual Counseling – Speaking with students on a short-term, confidential basis about an issue that has been brought to my attention or something that the student feels they need to discuss.
Response Services – Assisting students with coping when a crisis has occurred, and responding to immediate issues that have occurred during school hours that prevent the student(s) from actively participating in class.
Guidance Lessons – At PCES, character education lessons are provided that are developmentally appropriate and preventative in nature. Character Education covers topics such as (friendship, bullying, respect, responsibility, and much more).
Systems Support – A counselor is available for consultation with parents/guardians, teachers/staff, and other professionals as needed. This intervention can take place in individual or group conferences, or through staff development. In addition, referrals are made to outside agencies when needed.